Weekly Poll Results - When do you think they will close the master server.

When do you think they will close the master server.

Within 2 years 47.6% (62)
4 - 6 years 23.8% (31)
other - please say what. 16.1% (21)
2 - 4 years 12.3% (16)
Start: 08-16-2008 06:02
Last: 08-22-2008 23:21

#1 - Posted by: Berthy_Parinussa (Member) on 08-16-2008 at 09:05

I don't hope they close the master server!!! Because I still like SOF2!! I still play on NLOCservers (DM). And they are still well played by many peoples, so I think Its still populair!! SO SOF2 FOR EVER!!!!! :rock:

#2 - server closing - Posted by: Contra48 (Member) on 08-16-2008 at 21:47

I dont see this happening untill there is no more traffic coming in, I think there is still alot of people playing and untill that dies down some...there will be no closings.

#3 - Posted by: _Commando_ (Member) on 08-17-2008 at 01:32

If Activision was in charge of the master server it would have been shut down long ago. - Either when they stopped registering GUIDs or when CoD4 was released.

#4 - Posted by: _PhiL_ (Member) on 08-17-2008 at 05:45

what is the master server anyway? lol. maybe noobquestion but I really don't know what it is. if it's the case that the master server would close, sof2 would end, then I certainly don't hope that it's been closed.

#5 - Posted by: ChrisZ (Member) on 08-17-2008 at 06:45

Stupid poll imho.. Nobody knows..

#6 - Posted by: Patzor (Member) on 08-17-2008 at 07:02

i agree with #5

#7 - Posted by: Sliz3r (Member) on 08-17-2008 at 10:07

Na, it wont be closing... don't worry!

#8 - Posted by: DigaO_BiG (Member) on 08-18-2008 at 15:13

Maybe it won't close because that's just a website, it will probably be FORGOTTEN but not deleted. :'(

#9 - Posted by: HoRRoRiST (Member) on 08-18-2008 at 19:11

I also hope it will be a few years before this happens, SoF2 still is played by a lot of players eventhough at times you would say it is not, but we all live in different timezones unfortunately... :) In the event that it does get shutdown it will indeed be a major inconvenience for finding new servers to play on from within the game itself, but it doesn't have to mean the end of SoF2, afterall, the master-server is only a kind of indexer of the servers, the actual game-servers themselves will still be up and running, we'll just have to do some manual work (like browsing a website for servers or something, keeping that site up to date is another issue :furious:) to find the servers. Unless there is somekind of free master-server software out there and we can force SoF2MP to use it... :)

#10 - Posted by: conqueror (Member) on 08-19-2008 at 05:29

It will be along time yet, definatly not within 2 years

#11 - Hello All...This is Rebel{Vv} - Posted by: rebelr (Member) on 08-19-2008 at 08:17

Hello".... to all of you who may know me from my map creations that I do for this game from time to time. I don't really want to think about this game getting the "boot". I don't want to turn this into a conversation about sof3 and all that. But in my mind I am always asking myself "WHY", such a cool game like sof2 got short changed like it did by Activision and caldron, with that crap release of SoF Payback. This game in it's youth was one of the most played games on the internet. It has servived for 7 years to date and is still loved by many player around the world. :mepimp: Most games that came out when SoF2 Gold was releast are long gone now and are not played at all. Can sof2 still make it for 2 more years? I personaly don't know" but I sure hope so. Only time will tell", and the activity with this game will show just how the future will go with Soldier Of Fortune 2 Gold. But as for the *Rebel*{Vv} I will continue to support this game and keep my maps coming for those who still love to play it. :rock: *Rebel*{Vv}

#12 - Posted by: Chicane (Member) on 08-21-2008 at 14:53

sof1 masterserver is also still online i thought? Looking at EA, they close masterserver for a game when they have a newer game that moreless outdates the older game. In case of SoF2, there's no such thing, so i think they will keep it online for quite some time.

#13 - Posted by: GOODY (Staff) on 08-22-2008 at 02:06

Chicane can you send me the link to last movie you submitted. Bloody pc messed up and i lost it :( To make things worse my email keeps rejecting your email addy (i know its the right one) Sorry for the delay m8 Thanks Goody