Weekly Poll Results - What Settings do you run??

Published by FFxSTALKERx 10 years ago , last updated 1 year ago

What Settings do you run??

Enhanced Full Dynamic Lighting (DX9) 34.3% (521)
Enhanced Full Dynamic Lighting (DX10) 27.6% (420)
Static Lighting (DX8) 14.5% (221)
Full Dynamic Lighting (DX9) 12.5% (191)
Objects Dynamic Lighting (DX9) 7.1% (109)
I can't even get the damn game to start.... 3.6% (56)
Start: 09-27-2008 19:24
Last: 10-04-2008 21:14

#1 - Posted by: Fadeaway (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 06:32

Even with 'bad' graphics, the game still has an amazing atmosphere (especially in the new areas, where the anomalies have a visible effect on the level itself). Stuff like sun shafts, depth of field and wet surfaces etc. only add polish to the whole thing.

#2 - Posted by: Wess212 (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 09:28

i tried it on low, i was supriced it still looks so good! on max it looks alot better ofcource, it adds so much more :rock:

#3 - Posted by: TheDarkShrew (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 12:49

DX10 and never going back(even with the bad FPS)

#4 - Posted by: 0rpheus (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 13:28

This engine is quite a mess actually, there's a guy with a GeForce 8600GT and he has to run the game on static lighting to get good FPS. Nuts......I'm actually playing on dynamic lighting with my old *bad words* 6600GT with shadows turned off and everything else on lowest except draw dist. which is at max and LoD 3 clicks to the right on the slider. I'm getting around 25 FPS though.....

#5 - DX9 vs DX10 - Posted by: Made_by_KGB (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 14:15

EFDL on DX10 can lower FPS by even 50% without any(or very small) visual difference(according to tests).'Wet Surfaces' and 'Volumetric Smoke' are the only effects that are available on DX10. While Smoke looks quite cool, there isn't much of it, only in few areas, as for wet surfaces... well... I don't know... I mean, this effect(or very similar) was in Bioshock, hell, even old Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had one, so why in the nine hells do I need Vista to have this in Clear Sky? My mind just can't understand it. Strange, that God Rays on 'High' look the same as on 'Low' but FPS difference between them is huge! I can't get it either... I'll stick to my good old XP, thank you very much Mr. Bill. However my 8800GT is getting old, how much is for GTX280 these days?

#6 - Posted by: catsimboy (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 19:32

I have the ability to use DX10 but it's not worth the FPS hit for wet surfaces and dynamic smoke. Reading the tweakguide really helps figure out what you can turn down without making the game look worse, like the god rays Made_by_KGB mentioned, you can turn them all the way down and the only thing you'll notice is that you get better FPS.

#7 - Posted by: Keland (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 20:16

Well IM getting a 512mb card in Christmas, but I have to deal with Static at near max settings for now.

#8 - Posted by: henk_devill (Member) on 09-28-2008 at 23:11

@orpheus My previous card was a 8600gt too, but i couldnt play soc on even object dynamic lightening (or something), its just a pretty low budget card. now ive upgraded my computer esspecially for clear sky. EAH 4870 512ddr5, windows vista, 4 gigs of ram, 3.14 dual core. and now i can play clear sky on the highest graphic without the fps drop. This set costs a little more than 500 euros. So ye i play efdl(dx10) and it just ownes. Only before the patch i had some serious crashes where my computer turned itself off after bluescreen lol, but the patch does miracles, serious.

#9 - Posted by: nazikillah (Member) on 09-29-2008 at 16:59

Love my ATI 3870x2 in Vista premium,3gigz o ram and all gfx turned up highest.1680x1050 resolution.DX10 still looks better than anthing else out there.

#10 - Posted by: Lios (Member) on 09-29-2008 at 17:46

You dont need super crazy high awesome lighting to be able to enjoy the game. I play on static lighting because my processor is a useless piece of crap, but the game still kicks ass.

#11 - Posted by: tercio (Member) on 09-30-2008 at 22:40

I use the game in DX10 and the FPS is bearable. It drops at times but always playable.Sure I have 3 minute loading times, but hey, the game is beautiful. I don't even have a gaming rig, I have a decent laptop.(Ge9600Mgt,2.26 dual core and 4gig ram(and this isn't some awesome DDR3 ram, but rather nameless,stock brand)

#12 - Posted by: Sheepdragon (Member) on 10-01-2008 at 19:11

Enhanced full dynamic lightning DX10 Runs smoothly, probably around 35-60 FPS. Specs: Radeon HD4870 512MB AMD Athlon 6000 64 X2 Geil *something* 2GB DDR2 RAM

#13 - Posted by: th3flyboy (Staff) on 10-02-2008 at 14:57

the primary killer for fps is the god rays in the swamp level, other than that, i can play in dx 10 mode on my 8500gt....

#14 - bloody dx10 - Posted by: jakey0 (Member) on 10-03-2008 at 16:56

I'm in a trap here guys. i don't want to get vista, but I've heard the clear sky dx10 OWNS!(dynamic wet surfaces, smoke) hopefully they come out with a patch similar to crysis that would let you use dx10 settings on windows xp! so yeah enhanced full dynamic lighting (Dx9) for me also for those with a quad core its defiantly worth checking out the affinity quad core fix! yeah your right fly boy, according to tweak town its better to turn sun rays to low for a big FPS increase without affecting the realism in a noticeable way.