This article originated on the original FileFront
Formatting may be lacking as a result. We apologize for this inconvenience. If this article is un-readable please report it so that we may fix it.
Hey there SWBFFilers! Let's get down to the nitty-gritty.
This past week, we had a poll to let you guys choose what the theme for our upcoming mapping contest would be. Far-and-away, the top choice was an "urban" setting. So our theme for the contest will be swamps!
Just kidding, of course - "urban" will be our theme. But before we explain all that, let's get some basic rules.
- This map contest will feature the conquest gamemode only. Your contest submission must only have conquest selectable.
- Your map submission must be for Star Wars Battlefront II.
- You may not submit a map you started working on prior to today, Friday, November 21.
- Submissions must follow the theme. (Urban, details of what makes an "urban" map at the bottom of the post)
- A user may only make one anonymous submission (one map).
- Maps must use only the stock side .lvls - you cannot have a custom sides folder in your map.
- Once a map has been submitted, you cannot reveal the author until the contest is over. If you try to reveal the author, your entry will be disqualified. (This means
no posting of screenshots from "your" map, no telling anyone whose it is, nothing.) Users must submit in the following format (click for larger picture): http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/84/others/contestsub.jpg As shown above, your submission must meet these criteria:
- Your contest entry must be preceded by [CONTEST] in the title of the file.
- It must be submitted to the "Contest" file category.
- You must NOT include your name or a readme, except for installation instructions.
- Your name MUST be included in the file description only (the staff will see it and delete it).
Once a file has been posted, it will be posted as an anonymous file and downloadable to everyone. The map will recieve no review, merely an overview of it and how to use it. Users will play through the contest files, and at the end of the contest period, users will vote, using a poll/polls to determine the most popular. Once the contest period has passed, users will be free to RESUBMIT their files under their own name and recieve a review and a rating.
So what is an "urban" map, exactly? Here are some good examples of "urban" maps (by the contest's definition):
- Naboo: Theed (SWBF1/2)
- Mos Eisley (SWBF1/2)
- Cloud City (SWBF1)
- Coruscant City (by Rends, custom map)
- Coruscant Streets (by Rends, custom map)
- Italia (by Eddie, custom map)
There are a couple urban maps, as we define them, in the stock SWBF2 (Naboo: Theed and Mos Eisley). To be an urban map, a map must take place in a cityscape - among buildings and streets.
So how can I make an urban map? Urban maps can require a lot of object or prop assets. While you are welcome to create your own or use stock SWBF1/2 assets, there are a number of other good sources of assets for these. Here are some of the best:
- Vyse's Mesh Pack 1: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6532
- Coruscant City assets: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6538
- Coruscant Streets assets: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6537
- Squeddies Pack: http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=9156
If you use any of these, you must give credit to the author of the assets - not doing so will get you disqualified.
All maps must be submitted no later than SUNDAY, DECEMBER 21. All maps must follow the submission rules as posted above or risk being disqualified. Any questions may be asked in the following comment thread, so that we can clear up the rules for anyone who needs help.
Now get busy! You've got one month. :)
There are no comments yet. Be the first!