Weekly Poll Results - Do you think GPG could have made SupCom easier to mod?

Published by Digz 9 years ago , last updated 11 months ago

Do you think GPG could have made SupCom easier to mod?

Yeah! 57.7% (193)
Don't mod os wouldn't know :) 36.2% (121)
Nope it's good as it is 5.9% (20)
Start: 12-04-2008 00:55
Last: 01-01-2009 02:13

#1 - Posted by: The_Farseer (Member) on 12-04-2008 at 06:21

I'm on the fence on this one...the game is very easy to mod artistically (ie: textures, icons and such...as all textures and icons have things auto-assigned to them based on the nature of the unit they're attached too and the teamskins/emissive mapping is very intuitive and easy. The way the game is set up in its code though can be rather messy...the filepaths tend to get notted up...if you know what I mean. The attributes for any given unit aren't stored in that unit's LUA file but a different file off somewhere else, while the specs. for it's weapon(s) are in yet another LUA file, etc... it gets confusing to have so many files...

#2 - Posted by: Eluvatar (Staff) on 12-04-2008 at 13:38

I would like the game to be easier to mod but I dont think its possible. if you look at what what we can do in sup com compaired to older games like StarTrek armada 2 ( :borg: ) we can do so much more its not even funny. I think that sup com could not be any easier to mod without changing the game and making it more simple with less features. and if it were easier then that means that the devs would have to take more time to get it to be more friendly and it would mean waiting longer for supcom 2 (w00t) and I dont want to. also if they made it any easier to mod most of our old mods would not work and I would not be happy :furious:

#3 - Posted by: Fartingo (Member) on 12-07-2008 at 17:11

I think the game is too easy to mod. We keep getting the same old juiced-up unit packs that just sit in the lists and water down the gold.

#4 - Posted by: Dezaro (Member) on 12-17-2008 at 13:47

I have to say that it's not easy enough to mod, guaged bythe fact that if I where to try and make a mod for this I'd have nothing except the types of mods where it's just got cheesie additions to exsisting units. Considered that I'm working on a mod for C&C-Generals that will hopefully be adding an entire new faction (including appropriate sub-factions) and we're aiming to not effect the way the game plays at all, because we all love it so much. I could never dream of taking on this task with SupCom at my level, so I say it's too difficult to mod.